How do you define self esteem? Low self esteem seems to be a pretty hot topic since so many of us can relate to this issue.
Putting it broadly, this is my own definition of self esteem:
Self esteem is having an overall positive opinion of yourself. It is having self respect, belief in yourself and your opinions, and accepting all facets of yourself. You can feel good about yourself, despite the opinions of others.
To check your level of self esteem, how many of the following traits do you see in yourself?
1. I have the ability to accept constructive criticism, without feeling offended or devalued.
2. I take pride in my appearance. I wear clothes that make me feel attractive and I have good personal hygiene and grooming.
3. I don't tolerate abusive behaviour from others, and I am assertive enough to speak up for myself without being aggressive.
4. I take pride in the work that I do, and I recognise my achievements.
5. I know that it is okay to make mistakes. When I do make a mistake, I don't beat myself up over it. I can learn from it and move on.
6. I don't need to feel perfect all the time, and I don't expect perfection from others.
7. I have little concern about how others judge me, or what they may be thinking or saying about me.
8. My sense of self worth is not based on my material possessions or the job that I do.
9. I enjoy a wide variety of experiences and am not afraid of trying something new.
10. I don't gossip about others as a way of making me feel better about myself.
11. I nurture myself on a regular basis by doing something positive for myself that I really enjoy, such as having a massage or having a solitary walk in the park.
12. I buy something nice for myself every now and then.
13. I have no problem voicing my opinion in a non-threatening way, even if it doesn't agree with what others are saying.
14. I can say no or turn people down without feeling guilty.
15. I can make my own decisions with confidence, without the need to check with others for fear of making the wrong choice.
16. I have no trouble apologising when necessary.
17. I don't need the approval of others to feel good about myself.
18. I feel comfortable in the company of others and in social situations.
Unfortunately, low self esteem is a fairly common trait for so many. Wouldn't you love to be able to see more of the above traits of self esteem within yourself?
If you would like some ideas for improving your level of self esteem, take a look at my page on overcoming low self esteem. Here I talk about the ways I have worked on improving my own self esteem over the years.
Flower essences are a wonderful way to help improve your self esteem and sense of self worth. I have been using them for many years, and they have really helped my self esteem and confidence levels, which use to be pretty low.
Flower essences have also helped my young son to gain confidence and self esteem. He use to be incredibly shy, and very fearful of other people. Thanks to the flower essences, he is much more self assured, and has no trouble making friends and even speaks publicly at school assemblies. He regularly voices how proud he is of his school and sporting achievements.
Would you like some help from the flower essences to boost your self esteem? You can contact me here to buy a mix of flower essence remedies prepared just for you.
I hope you have enjoyed my thoughts on how to define self esteem.