Use Positive Thinking Phrases
to Change Your Life
We all engage in self talk on a constant basis, so why not try positive thinking phrases to change your inner talk from negative to
If you've come to this page looking for ideas for positive phrases,
you're obviously aware of your own negative self talk and how it is
affecting you. Our self talk is the constant thoughts that stream
through our heads, often so automatically that they go unnoticed.
If you would like to learn more about what self talk is and where it comes from, please click on this link. If you would like to read more about the different types of negative self talk and why it affects you so much, please click here.
So let's get back to positive thinking phrases. On this page I've made a list of some different negative phrases that you might be aware of yourself indulging in.
If you have become aware of your own negative mind chatter, then well
done! So many people go through life never even getting to this point.
Look through my list for some examples that may closely resemble what you are saying to yourself. For each one, I
have then provided a positive thinking phrase, or positive counter-statement as they are also known, that you can use to replace
your negative thought.
If you are also going to create your own positive counter-statements, and that is a good idea, remember the following rules about positive affirmations:
- Always speak in first person, using terms like "I" or "My".
- Make them in the present tense, as if they were happening now.
- Never use two negative terms to try and make a positive, for example "I am not scared" should be "I feel safe".
- Make your phrases believable for you, not too far-fetched.
You will find the positive self affirmation in italics, after the negative phrase.
Some Positive Thinking Phrases to Replace your Negative Thoughts
- What if I have an accident on the highway? It's a dangerous place for drivers. I am a safe and capable driver. The highway provides a safe and easy way to travel. I will just take my time and stay calm.
- I can never get a good night's sleep, and I'm fed up with being tired all the time. It is so nice to curl up in my warm bed to rest and relax. I will get as much sleep as my body needs.
- Why do I make such stupid mistakes? People must think I'm an idiot. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes - it's okay. I've learnt something from this. Nobody else has even given it a second thought.
- You always look so fat! Why can't you just lose some weight - it can't be that hard? My body is now coming into alignment with my ideal weight. I feel more slim and healthy everyday.
- Why do I always seem to be broke. No matter what I do, I never have enough money to do the things I want. I always have everything I need. The abundance of the Universe is limitless, and it flows to me freely and easily.
- I feel so anxious and uptight. I just wish I could relax more. I am peaceful and calm. Every day, I am getting better at learning how to relax.
- Relationships never work out for me. I will always be alone, with no-one to love me. I am a loving human being, who receives love in return. I have many positive qualities that someone else will admire.
- I feel so unwell. I never seem to have much energy. It's pointless trying to get anything done today. I am vibrant and full of health and vitality. I always cope with whatever I need to get done.
- I will never succeed. I am such a failure at everything I try. I am a creative and enthusiastic person. My positive approach allows me to flourish at whatever I choose to do.
- What if I die of a heart attack like my father? I take care of my health and have a positive and happy outlook on life.
- The world is against me. Nothing ever seems to go right for me. I know that I create my own reality and I take responsibility for myself. I am grateful for all the good things in my life.
- I hate my job, but I'm stuck there because I need the money, and there are no other jobs around. I
am grateful for the income that my job provides me with, and I have
gained knowledge and experience. Something better is coming to me now,
and I take inspired action to connect with my ideal job.
- I should be able to stop these thoughts from going through my mind. I must be pathetic. I
am learning more about my self talk and I am taking steps to change it.
Every day, I am getting better at having more positive thoughts, and it
- What if my husband leaves me? I would never cope. I am a worthy and loving companion. And I have the courage and strength to deal with any situation.
- My parents really messed me up. The way I am is their fault. My
past experiences have given me strength and knowledge, and I am
grateful for that. I now live in the present moment, and I am
responsible for how I feel. There is great power in knowing this.
- My health condition just gets worse and worse. I guess I just have to learn to live with it. Perfect health is my natural state of being, and my body knows how to heal itself. My health is improving day by day.
- I'll never be as clever as my sister. She's the smart one, and the favourite. I am a unique individual with my own set of talents and abilities. I know how good I am at sport.
So now you get the idea of how to come up with positive thinking phrases to counteract your negative thinking.
Changing your self talk from negative to more positive takes patience and perseverance, but the results are well worth it.
Not only will you reduce any anxiety, but you will feel more happy and content within yourself.
thoughts will increase the vibration of your energy, and so you will
also notice that you begin to attract more positive situations into your
If you would like some help with how to work with your positive thinking phrases, check out my page on how I changed my inner talk.
Return from Positive Thinking Phrases to Self Talk
Return to Gateways to Inner Peace
Certified Australian Bush
Flower Essence Practitioner
Member of the Australian
Bush Flower Essence Society